USA Gymnastics announces final competition schedule for 2013 U.S. Gymnastics Championships
INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 8, 2012 – USA Gymnastics announced today that the dates for the 2013 U.S. Gymnastics Championships at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn., are Thursday, Aug. 15, through Sunday, Aug. 18. Dates for the four-day competition, which serves as USA Gymnastics’ national championships, shifted to accommodate a live broadcast of the senior men’s gymnastics session. The USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show, which will be staged at the Connecticut Convention Center in conjunction with the U.S. Championships, is scheduled for Aug. 15-17.
The competition schedule for 2013 is:
- Aug. 15 – women’s gymnastics, juniors at 1 p.m. and seniors at 7:30 p.m.
- Aug. 16 – men’s gymnastics, juniors at 1 p.m. and seniors at 7:00 p.m.
- Aug. 17 – women’s gymnastics, juniors at 2 p.m. and seniors at 7:30 p.m.
- Aug. 18 – men’s gymnastics, seniors at 11:30 a.m. and juniors at 6:30 p.m.
- Times listed are Eastern.
All-session tickets for the U.S. Gymnastics Championships range in price from $125-$395. Prices vary according to ticket location, and the top-priced ticket is for the best seat location and includes an autographed commemorative poster. Tickets are available through several different avenues: Ticketmaster.com; calling 1-800-745-3000; or the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center. For group tickets, please call 860-548-2000. Tickets are also available at a discounted price through participating local gymnastics clubs.
The U.S. Gymnastics Championships, previously known as the Visa Championships, determine U.S. champions and the U.S. national team for the junior and senior elite levels. The field will be determined closer to the competition.
Jordyn Wieber of DeWitt, Mich./Gedderts’ Twistars USA, and John Orozco of the Bronx, N.Y./Team Hilton HHonors (U.S. Olympic Training Center), won the men’s and women’s U.S. all-around titles, respectively, at the 2012 Visa Championships. The roster of former U.S. all-around champions is a veritable who’s who of gymnastics, including: women – Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Carly Patterson, Courtney Kupets, Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Kim Zmeskal and Mary Lou Retton; and men – Paul Hamm, Blaine Wilson, John Roethlisberger, Mitch Gaylord, Peter Vidmar and Bart Conner. The U.S. Gymnastics Championships traces its history back to 1897 for the men and 1931 for the women.
The 49th Annual USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show is a three-day event open to the entire gymnastics community. Held in conjunction with the U.S. Gymnastics Championships, National Congress provides a unique opportunity for presentations, demonstrations and educational seminars on a variety of topics and a large exhibitor’s hall with additional business opportunities.
- The Connecticut Convention Center. The Connecticut Convention Center, which has more than 205,000 sq. ft. of exhibition space, is the site for the USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show. The facility offers an outdoor esplanade overlooking the Connecticut River and is connected to both the Hartford Marriott Downtown and the Connecticut Science Center.
- XL Center. The XL Center, managed by AEG CT LLC, will host two days of competition for both men’s and women’s gymnastics. The XL Center is home to the University of Connecticut Men’s & Women’s Basketball teams along with the Connecticut Whale, the American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Rangers. In addition to resident teams, the XL Center entertains millions of visitors annually with a variety of concerts, family shows, sporting events, consumer & trade shows. The XL Center is also the proud host of the BIG EAST Women’s Basketball Championship, which will play in downtown Hartford for the 10th consecutive year in 2013. The XL Center is Connecticut’s home for premier sports & entertainment.